I miss the days of Spring Break. A lot. However, the spring sunshine and spring break spirit in Sun Valley are infectious right now, and I’ve been taking advantage as much as a can, between work and realizing that I’m not 21 anymore…
It was a great week filled with birthdays, sunshine, spring skiing and benders. Here’s what I’m loving right now:
1. birthdays. Many people in my life celebrate March birthdays, and this week I helped three of them celebrate in unique ways — one with yummy food and some late-night karaoke, one with gold dinos and cheese fondue (blog post coming soon) and one with aprés-ski unicorns and corn hole.
kacie making her wish
birthday flowers for tory
rachel, the hostess unicorn for tory’s aprés ski adventure
trying to outsmart the wind for some candles…to no avail
gold dinos for kacie and katie’s bday celebration at my casa
birthday girls at the gold dino party
kyleigh making a wish at knob hill
2. “have courage, be kind.” Anyone who knows me well knows that I love a good fairytale…especially one with a modern twist that departs from a little patriarchy. While I don’t know that I could say that Disney’s live adaptation of Cinderella did just that, it did enough and then a little more. It was beautiful, intentional, and made my heart sing. I watched it with my mother, who certainly made the motif of “have courage, be kind” that much more poignant. I challenge you to not visualize yourself in cinderella’s glass slippers watching this movie.
While I’m not sure the “kindness” part of my #2 applies to House of Cards, courage probably does. I cannot get enough of House of Cards, and I am already counting down the days (but how many?!) until next season. It’s my favorite TV show right now, in a very different way than The Voice or PLL. While Cinderella may be an almost role model, Claire Underwood is one of my favorite characters ever because of her complexity and strength. That walk off at the end of the final episode?! Oh em gee. While I can’t say I agree with all of her fictional decisions, I love her. Claire Underwood for President.
3. sunshine. While I couldn’t join my “spring breaking” (not actually, but it felt that way for awhile there) friends as much on the slopes, I gave my all at the aprés scene and soaked up as much sunshine as possible this weekend.
river run love
i went down backwards while taggart hauled down the hill like he always does
4. food for thought. I started reading an actual book — not one on my iPad — and there’s really nothing better than curling up in the corner of the couch and flipping actual pages. I’m only half-way through, but I am loving All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.
I stumbled upon this article titled “Why Your Happiness Has Little to Do With Positive Thinking” awhile ago and thought it was very interesting. While I have a hard time nay-saying positive thinking, the messages of this article really resonated me. #2 on the list is my favorite and advice I try to give and follow: “Love and embrace whatever state you are in.”
5. new duds. With wedding season on the horizon, I have had an eye out for great pieces for the last couple months. Using many gift cards that I’ve been hoarding for awhile, I invested in some solid additions to my wardrobe…from Joie to Mossimo, Panache to Nordstrom Rack. Here’s a look:
rebecca taylor onesie
bb dakota dress
some steve madden shoes I may not be able to walk in
some fun lace shorts from target
top and shorts from a cabi trunk show
6. looking back. As we mentioned repeatedly, it’s been a strange few months, filled with the ultimate highs and lows. It was fun to look back over the past months of photos on my phone today. Life goes on, and I’m more thankful than ever for my friends, family and beautiful surroundings. In many ways, I’m feeling more alive than ever, and I can’t wait for a glorious spring and unforgettable summer. Life is good.
depth-of-winter hike with my cousin
boise escape with rachel before seeing the worst movie of all time
beautiful evening walk in the dog park
valentine’s day with all kinds of couples
par par and a much bigger stick…just as I slipped and got a concussion
skiing on dollar with isla and drew
isla’s basketball game
a new cute iPhone case
a delicious recipe from the book “clean slate” by the editors of Martha Stewart
a housewarming gift for jenna and brad
himalayan salt block that we’ve been grilling on since christmas — they’re amazing!
valentines all the way around the world!
lovely spring tulips for mom
my mom’s new cat, Henry
a new dedication to eating fresh fruit
I hope you have a wonderful week!