I’ve come a long way from building complex Leprechaun traps (side note: how creepy is the concept of Leprechauns?!) and drinking green-dyed kid, and then adult, beverages. I can claim no Irish heritage, knowledge, or travel history to the country…But, it’s an understatement to say that we can use all the luck we can get for the rest of 2015. Also, who can possibly resist a holiday marked by gold accents?!
So, we rallied last minute to have an intimate St. Patrick’s Day dinner complete with corned beef, tokens of luck, and other kinds of greens. Here’s a look at the night!
We opted for understated green and gold accents, including:
- Gold tinted burlap runner
- Arrangements of greenery and baby’s breath in gold vases
- Gold glitter votives, like always
- Tokens of good luck with face-up pennies hiding under napkins and face-up horseshoes at every other setting
- Neutral accents — white plate with no placemats, gray napkins, and white candles
- Shamrock inspired place cards that were trimmed from the greenery arrangements
We enjoyed classic St. Patrick’s Day fare with some corned beef and potatoes, but we spiced it up with some sides, and, of course, greens:
- Corned beef, cooked two ways according to the same recipes we used at last year’s celebration. I think we’ve finally mastered them, and the baked version seemed to be the favorite. I recommend using Sun Valley Mustard!
- “Gold coin” potatoes as I will call them from now on. Check out the recipe here. They’re like a cross between french fries and baked potatoes. Yum!
- A beautiful all-green salad including kale, brussels sprouts, avocado, green apple matchsticks, sunflower seeds and parmesan
- Sautéed greens including asparagus, zucchini, onion and garlic
- Adorable and delicious “rainbow” baked chocolate donuts
It was a family affair with cousins, moms, caregivers and friends — who may as well be family at this point. Lots of love and good luck to all of you!
In case you didn’t understand the title, check out Reckless Kelly’s “Good Luck and True Love” — Reckless Kelly is one of our all-time favorite bands!
Here’s to good luck and true love for all of our supporters!