I knew the Holidays were going to be absolutely crazy this year as I was only home for about three weeks. So before the madness ensued we had a few friends over for dessert and drinks. I threw together a pie and topped it with some snowflakes. We enjoyed some pie, some popcorn, some drinks and an episode or two of MeatEater.
Yes, we all snuggled on the couch plus a black dog or two and watched a hunting show. If that’s not Idaho, I don’t know what is. As the boy professed this summer, it was one of those romantic little friend nights that was just perfect.
So without further ado here is the most simple pie recipe that I usually end up eye balling!
- 2 cups peaches
- 4 cups blackberries
- 2 cups sugar (i used brown)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- a squeeze of lemon
- pie crust of your choice
- fun cookie cutter!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your preferred pie crust. Remember to always use super cold water, a cold bowl and refrigerate your crust after making.
- Mix together the fruit, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and squeeze of lemon in a large pot. Heat over low to medium heat until the mixture thickens a bit.
- Separate pie crust into two balls. Roll out the first for the bottom of the pie and insert it into your pie pan.
- Carefully pour your fruit mixture into the pie pan, careful not to make any dribbles on your crust!
- Roll out the second ball. Cut a fun shape into the middle. I used a snowflake in honor of the plethora of snow we had before the Holidays. Lay over the pie. Cut around the edge.
- Press around the edge to make a fun pattern.
- Use any extra pie crust you have to make two more of the same shape and place on either side of the cutout shape.
- Dust with sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy a piece of pie with some ice-cream, popcorn (obvi), drinks and good company!