The boy really, really, really loves ice cream. Like eats a couple of half gallons a week. So to help him work on his dad bod I made a homemade ice cream cake. We had 4 others over for dinner and I estimated that COMBINED we would eat like a third of the cake. But no. Five of us ate about a fourth of the cake and the boy ate the rest. He started with a large piece, followed by another large piece and then fishished the beauty off in one sitting. It was like something you would see at the circus.
Now I’m sure you are all pretty impressed right about now that 1. I actually made a homemade ice cream cake and 2. the boy ate pretty much an entire ice cream cake and didn’t explode. And prepare to be even more impressed at how easy this cake is to make and how wowed everyone will be that you actually made a homemade ice cream cake (sorta).
FYI healthy would not remotely be a word I would use to describe this cake (unless you are like super low on calcium?). Cheers to ice cream, eating like a “Fat Boy” and having seconds, thirds, fourths!
- a box of 12-square FatBoys (yes, you read that correctly…)
- a jar of caramel sauce or chocolate sauce or really any sauce or two or three of your choosing
- one pint of whipped cream
- grab a cake plate that will fit in your freezer, unwrap the first “FatBoy” and place it on the plate.
- do the same thing with the next five “FatBoys” arranging them in a rectangle that will become the bottom layer of your cake.
- heat up your sauce of choice and generously drizzle (no need to be sparse as you are using 12 “FatBoys”) across the top of the first layer.
- unwrap the last six “FatBoys” and arrange as the second layer on top of the first.
- place the cake into the freezer to chill those “FatBoys” again.
- make whipped cream by whipping one pint of whipped cream in a cold metal bowl. ( i didn’t add any sugar or vanilla to my whipped cream because i figured 12 “FatBoys” and a large portion of caramel sauce would do…)
- chill whipped cream until stiff.
- frost your chilled cake with the chilled whipped cream.
- decorate or generously drizzle your cake with some more sauce.
- chill cake until serving.
- devour! #nomnom