1. i left my heart in san francisco and a baby on the way: There are so many people that I love in San Francisco, and there’s about to be one more! I had such a great time visiting my cousin to celebrate her baby on the way, due at the end of June. She is one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and out, and I can’t wait to meet her daughter or son. We enjoyed lots of great food, and some solid entertainment, but my favorite part was helping her and her fiancee continue to set up their baby nursery. What a lucky kiddo! I truly love this city and was sure I’d live in the Bay Area again at some point in my life. Never say never, I guess!
2. heather mcdonald: It’s a really good thing I don’t have a weak bladder, or I probably would have peed my pants a couple weekends ago. The boy’s amazing sister had the great idea to go see Heather McDonald at Cobb’s Comedy Club in San Francisco. You may recognize her from Chelsea Lately, one of my favorite shows from college. I had never seen a live comedy show, and I can’t wait to see another one after this great experience. Here’s a clip of her standup, which I found to be incredibly relatable and hysterical:
3. mccall is for (morel) lovers: Whether it’s steelhead, grouse, or mushrooms, the boy might have a slightly obsessive personality. At least it mostly applies to outdoor activities? We have been on the hunt for morel mushrooms — a.k.a. the only mushroom I enjoy eating — for two years now. The mythical morel was finally found in McCall, and with a strangely wet spring, they’re all over Sun Valley as well. More to come on this adventure (not for the faint of heart) in an upcoming “beginner’s guide to morel hunting” (although I still have no idea what the f I am doing). Otherwise, McCall was a great escape and excuse to visit with his parents, although neither was feeling well. McCall is further proof that Idaho is an incredibly beautiful state, and one I feel lucky to live in. Can’t wait to head back to McCall for a couple exciting weddings this summer!
4. the start of wedding season: I will attend the first of six summer weddings on Saturday, and it’s certainly inspired my wedding pinterest board (which will remain private…). Here are a couple of my favorite finds of the week that make me swoon just a little bit, along with what I thought was a nice take on finding the right ring.
5. good reads: Taylor and I have both mentioned this book, but seriously, read it. Pulitzer Prize winning All the Light We Cannot See is the best book I have read in years, and I love that author Anthony Doerr is from Boise, Idaho. Doerr will also speak at the Sun Valley Writer’s Conference in July, which I will sadly miss.
My new “rip-through” read is #1 New York Times bestseller The Girl on the Train. I cannot put it down. Pick it up if you haven’t already!
6. the marten stuffer: Welcome to “The Onion” of Sun Valley. The clever and anonymous writers of satirical site The Marten Stuffer are keeping me laughing. Some of my favorite articles include “First Lite Yoga Pants Feature New ‘Camel Toe Eraser’ Technology,” “Wood River Valley Mating Inequality Baffles Researchers,” and “Valley White Stress at All Time High,” just to name a few…They’re lol funny and incredible accurate in many ways.
7. the start of wildflowers: I went on a quick hike with my friend Rachel on Tuesday, and the wildflowers were incredible! Nothing’s better than wildflower season.
Have a great week!