I first blogged about galettes in the midst of last year’s Indian Summer. I pretty much adore the idea of a galette – a free-form pasty filled to the brim with whatever your heart desires. Galettes are decadent, delicate and quite easy to make all at the same time. They also kinda remind me of an open-faced, home-made poptart, anyone else? In my opinion galettes might be the perfect summer dessert because they wont leave you stuck in a hot kitchen for hours baking.
I made these individual galettes a few months ago for a friends dinner. The boy had just returned home and I wanted to make something pretty, yet quick and easy all at the same time. They were a hit and will definitely be a go to this summer!
~18 individual galettes
- one package (2-sheets) frozen puff pastry or pie dough, thawed (or you can make your own if you’re feeling adventurous and have time for such things)
- 4 cups berries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- a heaping tablespoon cornstarch
- egg white for brushing
- sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or grease baking pan with butter.
- Mix berries, brown sugar, white sugar, salt and cornstarch in a large bowl. Feel free to add a bit of lemon juice as well.
- Placed one sheet of thawed puff pastry on a floured surface and roll out to thin the pastry. Cut pastry into a 3 x 3 grid to make 9 small squares.
- Using one of the smaller squares of pastry you just cut out, brush egg white around the edges of the square and fill the middle with the berry/sugar mixture. Leave enough room to fold over the outside of the pastry onto itself.
- Brush folded over sides of pastry with egg white. Sprinkle with dusting sugar and transfer to prepared pan.
- Repeat with the remaining cut squares and other sheet of pastry.
- Bake approximately 12 minutes or until pastry is golden. The berry/sugar mixture may seep out while baking but the final product will still be incredible!
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream and enjoy!