In honor of my dear co-author’s quarter-century birthday, Rachel and I wanted to return the favor of a great dinner party in her honor. Honoring her favorite season and her vegetarianism, we set out to create a heart vegetarian feast, complete with pumpkins, vodka, and gold.
Here’s a look at the night!
Though it was a small, all-girls gathering, we couldn’t not send a Paperless Post…We went for the ever classic black and gold template that added a little “hunter-gatherer” flair.
It was perfect autumn weather for a cozy night. Here’s how we decorated:
- Pumpkins and more pumpkins
- Sunflowers and mums in mason jars, wrapped with raffia
- Mason jar cocktail glasses with orange striped straws
- Lots of candlelight — in our gold glitter mason jar votives, and with tall white column candles
- A burlap, gold-painted table runner
I have to say, cooking a vegetarian meal is quite lovely and stress free — no incessant hand-washing, no fat trimming, no gross bloody packaging…That being said, I couldn’t help but slip some bacon in there! Rachel and I must have exchanged about a dozen emails plotting and plan this evening. Here’s what we decided on, and what our dear friends contributed:
- A vanilla, pear, and vodka cocktail with a rosebud sugar rim — sweet, but very yummy!
- Burrata (you can never go wrong with burrata) and an antipasto platter with salami, cheese, and olives
- Homemade bruschetta from homegrown tomatoes from Sara’s garden
- A whole roasted head of cauliflower — both cool to look at and totally delicious. The marinade was so good that I dipped celery sticks in it for the next couple days
- An artichoke, green bean, squash, sunflower seed, roasted garlic, and quinoa salad — this provided a nice light balance to our meal, but we added some champagne vinegar to tarten it a bit
- Brussels sprouts, Enoteca style — thinly shredded and sautéed with goat cheese and (bacon)
- The main event, butternut squash soup — a delicious concoction that Rachel made from a fax recipe. That’s legit!
- Mini mason jar pumpkin cheesecakes — also gluten free, the boy has devoured one of these every night for the last week (I made some extras)
Happy Birthday, Taylor! We love you so much, and we had so much fun celebrating your big birthday!