Since I was a little girl I can always remember loving cornbread. Given that I quite despise slathering honey or butter on anything, I prefer just plain old cornbread. Except when it comes to cornbread plus green chiles and cheddar cheese. Green chiles and cheddar cheese make even the best piece of simple cornbread better. However, my childhood self would most likely disagree.
My mom makes an incredible cornbread with green chiles and cheddar cheese that I wanted to replicate. Whenever she makes it I eat far more than my fair share. However she was out of town so I had to give it my best shot.
I offered to bring a dish to Krista’s Not-So-Grown-Up Housewarming Party but had to keep it very simple as I didn’t have much time and this cornbread was just that. The cornbread only required one bowl and was in and out of the oven with little worry. The only modification I would make is that next time I would add more green chiles and cheddar!
12 large pieces
- 1 package Bob’s Red Mill Cornbread Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounce can green chiles (more if desired)
- 1+ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 9″ circular pan or desired pan.
- Combine cornbread mix, eggs, melted butter and milk together until well mixed.
- Add green chiles and cheese. Add any additional as you see fit.
- Pour cornbread into prepared pan. I used an extra pan as well so we had a bit left over for home.
- Bake ~25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let pan stand until cool.
- Serve in basket with butter if desired!