You know it’s a Ketchum summer when it would be more time effective to park at the edge of town and just walk everywhere. Intersections are a joke, and visiting families have officially arrived….with their small children, eagerness and socks with sandals style.
Things are busy busy, but I refuse to miss out — I’ve always had a serious case of FOMO. Here’s what I’ve been loving this last week of June. July, here we come!
1. Giving Back: The Wood River Valley supports more than 150 nonprofits with a combined population of under 20,000 people. That’s pretty incredible, and I’m proud to call this place home. It’s a true community. The Advocates for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault is one of these nonprofits, and my dear cousin Anna recently chaired their Black and White Soiree fundraiser. I was more than happy to attend and support the worthy cause, and my lovely cousin. She did a fabulous job, and I was so proud of her! The decor was fabulous, the speakers moved everyone to tears and the entertainment was top-notch.
2. Love: I recently had the honor of being a “weekend of” wedding coordinator for a beautiful couple. I’ve always enjoyed event production, and this was a perfect opportunity to “get my feet wet” with a larger scale event (185 people). It was a great learning experience, and the wedding was lovely, rustic, unique, playful,and sincere. Thank you to Ashley and TJ, and congratulations! I can’t wait to see all of the photos of the big day. What a beautiful occasion!
3: Big Beers on a Sunny Day on a Shady Deck: With the summer heat wave hitting, nothing sounds better on a summer evening than a cold beer with friends on an awesome deck. One such awesome deck is at Grumpy’s, where you need two hands to drink their trademark schooners a.k.a. “day enders” as the boy likes to call them. We had a great time with family and friends on Sunday. Cheers to many more deck beers to come!
4. Cruisin’ through K-Town: I’ve wanted to live in the heart of town ever since I moved back here after college, and that wish finally came true this spring. I purchased this cute Schwinn black and gold cruiser bike probably 6 years ago from PK’s in Ketchum, and maybe had the opportunity to ride it a dozen times between pouring rain in Eugene and too much uphill travel to or from town. Now, I’m making up for lost time in a big way. Every time I get on it, I think of Rachel McAdams in espadrilles in Wedding Crashers, and that sweet “In The Summertime” song chimes in my mind.
5. Fire Pit for Two: Between a hectic, non-stop weekend and anticipation of the even crazier week to come, the boy and I made an effort to have some casual time at home, just the two of us. We mixed some raspberry lemonade margs, cooked some fish tacos, and enjoyed the fire pit in our “side yard.” It was simple, carefree and a perfect way to end the weekend. Also, I am so beyond proud of him for “landing” the cover of The Drake, the most popular fly-fishing magazine.
6. America and this Flask: I’m so excited to watch the USA vs. Belgium, and I’m so glad Anne Coulter gave us some solid comic material over the weekend. What a crazy, huh? I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!